Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Over priced engineer and architect


Architects and engineer
Overpriced


One thing I have learned over the past 30 years is that quite often people pay way to much for the services of a architect or engineer .
Yes I know that these people have gone to school to get their degree and paid out a lot of money for that schooling.
It is that reason they charge so much for their services .

Well that is the problem if you pay for the fact they went to school and got a degree then they should get it right, if you and I did our job wrong we would get fired.
And it is not just them now think about it when a set of prints is made for a job it must go through many hands to get approval, and still mistake happen.

I know your thinking some small mistake overlooked right. Well this can happen and walls not lining up is not to much of a problem but how about 2nd story decks just hanging in mid air with no way to support them.
Or drawing the building with walls layout to fit a 40x25 foundation but having drawings for a 38x25 foundation .
Keep in mind this was a multiple unit condo so many eyes went over these drawings before I got them.

Then there was the time that a client wanted an engineer to give them a drawing for turning their roof from cottage to cathedral, we'll a lot of money latter a drawing with posts and LVL and ripping walls open to extend point load to footings, this was in his professional opinion the only way it could be done.
Well so much for his schooling I submitted my drawing for permit and surprise it pasted so I suggested to the client they pay me what they paid the engineer.

This next one was priceless it was a large custom home builder here in muskoka that I was going to build a large cottage for.
Well the general for the company shows up with prints for the job lays them down on the seat of his truck opens them up to show first and second floor, right away I'm like sorry but I can not build this cottage like that.

So here is the problem they somehow overlooked the fact that the stairs going up went right into the roof line giving you about 4 feet head space at top of stair.
Keep in mind this a million + cottage how can this kind of mistake keep happening,  so right there I showed him how to fix it and did a drawing for him.

So my question is why?  They charge a lot,  they went to school for that degree so how is that they get the money.
First off I did not go through school as an engineer yes I did study how to be an architect in high school but my experience comes from working in construction for 37 years.
The main thing that separate me from most is my ability to see something built or go together from the first nail to the last nail in my mind very fast.

With this ability I can see problem before I start to build, this along with my experience has made it possible for me to challenge engineers and architect, now if only I would get paid what they get.
In the past I have figured out how to fix and do the drawing just to have the other parties put their name on it and charge.

Maybe some day after enough buildings cave in or bridges crack and more builder complain about drawing not being right they will start listening to us the builder at least we know how to build it.
Here's a thought maybe engineer and architect should have to go and work with a builder for 2 year so they get some idea how it is done before telling us how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment